Holiday Cleanup – Quick Lists: Getting Your Home and Office Ready for CelebrationsDecember 13, 2023
Getting your home and office ready for holiday celebrations can be a rewarding and festive experience, but one we rarely prepare for. Here are two lists – one for home and one for the office – to help you clean up and prepare both spaces for the upcoming festivities:
- Desk Organization: Start by decluttering your desk and workspaces. File away documents, clear unnecessary items, and organize your workspace especially if it is to host the office party. Make sure anything vulnerable to a spill is filed or put away.
- Digital Cleanup: Clean up your computer and digital workspace. Delete unnecessary files, organize your email inbox, and ensure your digital workspace is clutter-free. Why? Work can suffer during the holidays so when you are working it must be efficient.
- Office Decorations: Add some holiday spirit to your office space with festive decorations like a small tree, wreaths, or holiday-themed desk accessories. However, do not presume everyone shares your religion – refrain from decorating common areas yourself.
- Cleaning Supplies: Ensure your office is stocked with cleaning supplies like disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer, especially if you’ll have visitors.
- Meeting and Reception Areas: If you have meeting or reception areas, make sure they are clean, welcoming, and seasonally decorated (and possibly scented) for any clients or visitors who may drop by.
- Desk Plant Care: If you have office plants, give them some extra attention to ensure they’re healthy and vibrant during the holiday season.
- Storage Areas: Organize storage areas to accommodate any additional supplies or decorations you may need for holiday events or parties.
- Holiday Schedule: Plan your holiday work schedule and communicate any office closures or reduced hours to your employees and clients.
- Employee Recognition: Make an office Holiday list. Don’t keep a haphazard list in your head. Employees, partners, service people, and especially your customers deserve your thanks. Keep this list for following years.
- Declutter: Start by decluttering your living spaces. Donate or discard items you no longer need. This will make decorating easier and create a more spacious and inviting atmosphere.
- Deep Cleaning: Clean your home from top to bottom. Dust all surfaces, vacuum carpets and rugs, mop floors, and wipe down countertops and appliances. Pay extra attention to areas that may be overlooked during routine cleaning, like ceiling fans, baseboards, and behind furniture.
- Decorations: Begin decorating your home with seasonal and holiday-themed décor. Hang lights and place decorations around your living spaces. Avoid placing cords across indoor or outdoor walkways.
- Kitchen Preparation: Clean and organize your kitchen. Make sure you have all the necessary cookware, utensils, and ingredients for holiday meals and baking.
- Guest Bedrooms: If you’ll have guests staying over, clean and prepare the guest bedrooms. Provide fresh linens, towels, and any necessary amenities. You may also want to have an extra safety razor, toothbrush, and toothpaste on hand for guests.
- Bathroom Refresh: Make sure your bathrooms are clean and well-stocked with essentials like toilet paper, soap, shampoo, and clean towels.
- Safety Check: Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly, especially if you’ll be using candles or a fireplace.
- Pet Considerations: If you have pets, clean their living areas and make sure they are comfortable with the extra activity and guests during the holidays.
- Outdoor Cleanup: If you plan to decorate the exterior of your home, clean up the yard, and hang outdoor lights and decorations. Ensure walkways are safe and well-lit for guests.
Take a few minutes and read through these holiday lists for home and office. They are suggestions from the LACOSTA staff to assure you of a happy and stress-free holiday season.