10 De-stressing Hacks for the New YearJanuary 3, 2024
The new year can be an exciting time, but it can also be quite stressful with all of the upcoming obligations and resolutions. Here are some hacks to help you destress for the new year:
- Practice Deep Breathing: When you start to feel overwhelmed, take a few minutes to practice deep breathing. Inhale slowly through your nose, hold for a few seconds, and then exhale. Don’t think. Go to a place in your head where you can find peace and follow your breath. This can help calm your nervous system.
- Exercise Regularly: Physical activity is a great way to reduce stress. Walk your dog or walk yourself – get some alone time. Set your phone to remind you to jump out of your hectic new year frenzy for even 10 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day.
- Get Plenty of Sleep: Don’t sacrifice sleep to get everything done. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night to help you stay refreshed and energized. Watching Netflix all night does not count as sleep.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Practice mindfulness or meditation to stay present and reduce anxiety. There are many apps and online resources that can guide you through these practices. Meditation is not a religious practice – you can be a non-denominational human being and enjoy the benefits of meditation.
- Stay Hydrated and Eat Well: Proper nutrition and hydration can help you cope with stress. Drink plenty of water. Avoid excessive caffeine, alcohol, and sweets.
- Seek Sanity: Do not discuss politics, religion, or UFOs.
- Limit Screen Time: Take a break from social media. Nobody you know is doing anything remarkable right now.
- Play a Board Game: Play a board game with a youngster in the family. However, under no circumstances should you start a game of Monopoly.
- Take Short Breaks: If you’re hosting guests or attending gatherings, take short breaks to step away and evaluate your behavior. Don’t do or say anything you will regret tomorrow…or for the rest of your life.
- Remember It’s Okay: Finally, remember that it’s okay if everything doesn’t go perfectly. You have a great year ahead, so go enjoy it!
These 10 De-stressing Hacks are brought to you by the LACOSTA Staff. Like you, we are striving for a low pressure, enjoyable new year.
We wish you and yours a Happy New Year.
The LACOSTA Team